即時報導 What's News

Headline News

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Why Wednesday FC

I'll tell you the story of how I got involved in Wednesday FC... It was 3-4 seasons back (can't really remember when), I was looking for some weekday games and asked my then manager (TL Tan-LSCM) if he knew anyone playing during the weekdays. I think it took him nearly a month to finally tell me that there's this Chinese team called Mancis United who plays weekdays. He gave me Wayne's number of which I called to arrange my first game with this (at that time) unknown team.

My first game was a real eye opener as I walked into a couldron of "Chinese speaking", "Gangsta Looking" team mates who didn't really seem to want me there. We played at PORIM and I played as RB. I remember a bloke especially, as all he could do was hurl verbal tirades at me in Chinese (Swee Dee, you know what you did)... It only stopped when Waynaldo to him that understand a little of the language. The game ended with us winning and me thinking "Never Again".

But the following week, I found myself back again for more abuse... The game went on better, as I showed glimpses that I could actually play some decent football, although the verbal attacks didn't stop, this time from the unofficial captain "Batman".

As time went by I realised that these "Hakka Speaking", "Gangsta Looking" guys weren't really half as bad as I thought they were. In fact they were quite the opposite, they took me in as one of their own. The sense of belonging in this team (once they warm to you, it helps if you're an OK player) is out of this world. The rest as some would say is history, I'm now playing at CB and sometimes get a run out at DM (when the superstars are not around). I'll even go as far to say that I was the pioneer in the set-up of the Wednesday FC team (Wayne, don't know if you remember...but I'm taking credit for the naming of the team).

So to the guys that were there on my first game; Tai Loong, Swee Dee, Ah Soh, Batman, Bullet, Waynaldo, Kwai Low (dearly departed) and those I can't remember as I'm getting old... Thank you for giving me such a hard time...I wouldn't have had it any other way.

No comments: